MOU-RBA Archives

February 2015

From:
Richard Hoeg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Hoeg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Feb 2015 09:23:53 -0700
I relocated the Northern Hawk Owl first reported yesterday by Don Kienholz. It was on the
tops of one of the pine trees right next to the road by the entrance to the road maintenance
garages (Riley Rd ... just off Jean Duluth Rd ... north side of road). For those of you who
viewed the Riley Rd snowy owl last winter, this owl was utilizing the pines almost directly
across the road from the mounds used by the snowy last winter.

This owl is a few miles away from where the other nearest hawk owl has been reported on
Jean Duluth Rd. Thus, as Don noted, this may or may not be a new bird, but the viewing
location is fantastic.

I watched the owl from 8:00 to 8:30 am. It finally flew off to the north where I could not
see it. Photos on my blog at http://www.365DaysOfBirds.Com/