MOU-RBA Archives

May 2010

From:
Linda Sparling <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Linda Sparling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 May 2010 23:38:23 -0600
 I found a single Cattle Egret just east of Grand Meadow in Mower County today, May 1.  The bird was seen from Hwy 16 just .2 mile east of 750th St.  There's a sign on the north side of the road for the Grand Meadow Gun Club.  The egret was low in the trees on the far bank of the river.  It flew towards town a bit to the grassy field surrounding the area.  It was feeding near the river when I left.  The time of day was late afternoon, 4:30ish.

I arrived at the farm that hosted the Eurasian Tree Sparrows yesterday.  According to the home owner, observers had been fairly continually watching the area, with no sighting of the pair.  I was there for an hour from about 2:30-3:30.  No tree sparrows, but the Harris's, White-crowned and White-throated Sparrows were still around.

Also of note:
1 Wilson's Phalarope in the Rose Creek sewage ponds
Spotted Sandpipers in two sewage lagoons - Rose Creek and Dexter
1 Yellow-rumped Warbler was my only warbler for the day

Linda Sparling