MOU-RBA Archives

November 2014

From:
MOU admin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
MOU admin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Nov 2014 06:23:00 -0700
(Posted by Andrew D. Smith <[log in to unmask]> via moumn.org)

Searching for gulls in Dakota County yesterday with Dave Pavlik, we discovered several
Thayer's and Iceland Gulls. At the Burnsville Landfill, we had one adult Thayer's and one 1st
cycle. There were two different very pale gulls, one of which seemed very good for a 1st
cycle Iceland. Another, critally evaluated by Dave, had some intermediate characters that
may have indicated potential hybrid origin. Lots of Herring Gulls here as well, and additional
interesting raptors including a couple Rough-legged Hawks and a dark Western-type Red-
tailed hawk.
At the Pine Bend Landfill, we had two adult Thayer's Gulls, two adult Iceland Gulls, and one
2nd cycle Iceland Gull. More Rough-legged Hawks here as well, plus a very cooperative
male Merlin.
We saw very few gulls at Pt. Douglas in Washington County. Much of the lower end of the
St. Croix River remains ice free. Of interest here were a pair of Canvasbacks, three Ring-
necked Ducks, one Ruddy Duck, and a late Horned Grebe. Common Goldeneye and
Common Mergansers were also observed.
We looked for Glaucous Gull, and other dark mantled gulls, but never saw any.
Dave has some photos which I'm hopeful he will post soon.

Drew Smith
Eagan, Dakota County