MOU-RBA Archives

August 2010

From:
Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 2010 18:56:43 -0600

Yellow Warbler
Cerulean Warbler
American Redstart
Common Yellowthroat
Wilson's Warbler
-Transcript

Hotline: Minnesota, Detroit Lakes
Date: August 26, 2010
Sponsor: Lakes Area Birding Club, Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce
Reports: 1-800-542-3992 (weekdays during business hours)
Compiler: Jeanie Joppru ([log in to unmask])

This is the Northwest Minnesota Birding Report for Thursday, August 26,
2010 sponsored by the Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce. You
may also hear this report by calling (218)847-5743 or 1-800-433-1888.

This has been a quiet week as far as sightings go, and the weather has
been extremely variable like most transition seasons. We escaped frost
once or twice this week, so perhaps we can hope for a couple more weeks
frost free. Migration seems to be slowly gathering speed, but surely
isn't in full swing yet.

John Ellis reported seeing flocks of migrating COMMON NIGHTHAWKS in
Douglas County last weekend. Among the warblers he spotted were a
juvenile CERULEAN WARBLER, as well as TENNESSEE WARBLER, ORANGE-CROWNED
WARBLER, NASHVILLE WARBLER, YELLOW WARBLER, AMERICAN REDSTART, WILSON'S
WARBLER, and COMMON YELLOWTHROAT. Among the flycatchers he saw was an
OLIVESIDED FLYCATCHER. A few hundred FRANKLIN'S GULLS were also seen.

Sandy Aubol in Polk County reported RUBY-THROATED HUMMINGBIRD, AMERICAN
REDSTART, and WILSON'S WARBLER on August 23 at her home in East Grand
Forks.

Here in Pennington County east of Thief River Falls, an OLIVE-SIDED
FLYCATCHER stopped in our yard for a few minutes, the first I have
noticed in the yard in 23 years.

Thanks to John Ellis and Sandy Aubol for their reports.

Please report bird sightings to Jeanie Joppru by email, no later than
Thursday each week, at [log in to unmask] OR call the Detroit Lakes
Chamber's toll free number: 1-800-542-3992. Detroit Lakes area birders
please call 847-9202. Please include the county where the sighting took
place. The next scheduled update of this report is Thursday, September
2, 2010.

Jeanie Joppru
Pennington County, MN