MOU-RBA Archives

October 2011

Sender:
Rare Bird Alert <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Bob Ekblad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Oct 2011 17:16:16 -0600
I located three Surf Scoters at South Stanchfield Lake in Isanti County
earlier today.  Initially they were at the south end and viewed from the
east side of the lake.  They moved toward the north end of the lake and then
later flew back down to the south end and started working their way back
north again.  Also present were 2 or 3 loons, a couple of Horned Grebes and
a Red-necked Grebe as well as 3 ruddies and a single Canvasback.  I did not
see the Black Scoter that Herb Dingmann reported there a few days ago.  A
couple of blue phase Snow Geese were still present with the Canada and
Cackling flock on the southwest shore (only viewable from the east side of
the lake).

I checked the Milaca sewage ponds in Mille Lacs County and found lots of
Canada Geese but did not find either the Snow or Ross's Goose.  There were
several pipits in the first cell.  The best assortment of ducks I found
today was at the Princeton sewage ponds - in Sherburne County (in the cell
right by the gate - they are working on the east cell).  There were American
Wigeon, Redheads, Green-wing Teal, scaup, Hooded Mergs and a very large
quantity of Bufflehead.  There was also a large contingent of Bonaparte's
Gulls there as well.

Bob Ekblad
Olmsted County in SE Minnesota
http://www.Birding-Minnesota.com