MOU-RBA Archives

May 2014

From:
MARK OTNES <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
MARK OTNES <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 May 2014 15:20:03 -0600
At about 1:00 PM today I observed 6 Red Knots in a large (250+) mixed
shorebird flock at the North Ottawa Impoundment just north of Charlesville
in Grant County.

The shorebirds were on along the east-west section road that cuts through
the impoundment.  Something scared up the flock (a saw a Peregrine Falcon
about a half hour later) and they flew around me and landed again in the
dirt islands next to the section road.  The Red Knots didn't stick with the
flock however and disappeared to the north.  I got excellent views of the
knots and was able to distinguish them from other shorebirds that kind of
look like them (Dunlins, dowitchers, Sanderlings, Stilt Sandpipers). The
knots were starting to get their red plumage.

Other shorebirds observed were:
Dunlin - 150+
White-rumped Sandpiper - 50+
Semipalmated Sandpiper - 10