MOU-RBA Archives

February 2012

Sender:
Rare Bird Alert <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Karl Bardon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Feb 2012 22:33:10 -0700
While doing my weekly gull survey of the Duluth-Superior harbor today, I found a record high number of Glaucous Gulls. While birding at WLSSD in the Duluth harbor with Jan and Larry Kraemer, I counted 34 Glaucous Gulls among 1003 Herring Gulls, 3 Iceland Gulls, 4 Great Black-backed Gulls, 5 Thayer's Gulls, and 2 Ring-billed Gull. These were all in view at the same time!, and included 10 adults, 2 first-cycles, and 22 first-cycles. The previous high count for Glaucous Gulls in Minnesota was 28 on 28 January 1967 at Knife River, Lake County, but this apparently included at least one Iceland, possibly others. Although another 450 gulls were at the Superior landfill today prior to checking WLSSD, this included only 3 Glaucous Gulls.

Karl Bardon
Duluth, MN