MOU-RBA Archives

June 2014

From:
Josh Wallestad <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Josh Wallestad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jun 2014 19:44:15 -0600
Like Alyssa DeRubeis, I also birded Murphy-Hanrehan Park Reserve this morning.
I was able to find and see all three Hooded Warblers that have been previously
posted by others.  All were found by sound and were seen mid-canopy (15-20
feet up).  Here are the locations:

1) Heard midway between trail post 14 and 15.  Later I saw and heard it right
at trail post 15 in the trees just on the north side of the gate.  The distance
from this location to the midway point is significant, so I'm not sure if it was
the same bird or not.

2) Seen and heard about 200 feet north of trail post 10.

3) Seen and heard midway between trail post 1 and 2.  After hearing the initial
song, this one started singing an altered version that I would not have
recognized.

Also seen:
1) Male Cerulean Warbler singing on territory southeast of trail post 18.  I did
not see the female or the nest.  This bird was strangely mid-canopy and not in
the treetops.

2) Blue-winged warbler singing near brushy clearing halfway between the main
trailhead and trail post 1.

3) Broad-winged Hawk

4) Veery (heard)

After Murphy-Hanrehan I stopped at Hidden Valley Park around noon to look for
the Tufted Titmouse.  I was sitting at the picnic table in the archery area for
45 min. and was about to give up when I finally heard a bird with a clear
whistled song in a tree in the playground to the south.  It was not the rapid
"Peter, Peter, Peter" song, but rather it was singing clear, whistled single
notes.  I hustled down to that end of the park and caught a glimpse of a gray
bird in the tree.  It then flew to the trees to the east of the archery targets
where I was able to track it down and confirm that it was a Tufted Titmouse.
It then flew through the woods to the north and out of the park.  The second
one may have been with it, but I'm not sure.

I also saw two Broad-winged Hawks in an aerial courtship display.

Fun birding in Savage.

Josh Wallestad

http://www.aboywhocriedheron.com