MOU-RBA Archives

September 2009

From:
Kim R Eckert <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kim R Eckert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Sep 2009 17:25:42 -0600
Late this morning, Sept 7, my Minn Birding Weekends (MBW) group
observed a Snowy Egret at Agassiz NWR, Marshall Co. It was seen on
Parker Pool from the observation platform along Co Rd 7 west of refuge
headquarters. I then alerted Jeanie Joppru who reported the egret was
still present this afternoon.

There were a few other highlights during this Sept 4-5-6-7 MBW tour
covering parts of Kittson, Roseau, Lake of the Woods, Marshall, and
Clearwater Co's. In all, we managed to turn up over 150 species,
despite the clear and warm weather which is currently prevailing and
is not conducive to much migration.

Our shorebird total was a respectable 18 species, with limited mudflat
habitat available. The most interesting finds were an American Avocet
at the Roseau sewage ponds and a flock of 145 Red-necked Phalaropes at
the Warroad sewage ponds. The only extensive mudflats we saw were at
Parker Pool in Agassiz, although most of the habitat there is
relatively far from the road. There are also decent mudflats at
Agassiz along Co Rd 7 at South Pool just east of refuge headquarters.

On the other hand, however, the woods birding was generally very slow,
as evidenced by our modest 4-day total of only 16 warblers, with very
low numbers of each species, and no significant waves of passerines
found anywhere.

Kim Eckert