MOU-RBA Archives

March 2014

From:
Amanda Foss <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Amanda Foss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Mar 2014 20:32:04 -0600
My sister and I spotted all three of the owls described previously by Molly Jo Miller today, March 15, around 5 pm.  They were on 390th St between 230th and 240th Aves, north of CR16 near Bellechester.  First we spotted the owl with medium barring on the snowy ground in the middle of a field. Shortly after, the smaller, heavily barred snowy owl flew in and perched on a power pole. After a while it flew into a dip in the field that we couldn't see from the road and stirred up the third, mostly white snowy owl. We observed all three perching (on pole, ground, and snow bank) and flying for about an hour.
Thank you Molly for the wonderful tip and contributing to our once-in-a-lifetime sighting!  To top it off, we spotted a FOURTH snowy owl on our way back home, south of Prescott, WI on highway 35, just after the CR E intersection. It glided right in front of our car and across a field.  This was around 7 pm.  We were very happy to see these birds were still around.