MOU-RBA Archives

March 2014

From:
Bob Ekblad <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Ekblad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Mar 2014 20:37:05 -0700
I was able to relocate Snowy Owls in Carver & Meeker Counties.  I got to the
previously documented owl spot in Carver County about 3:40pm and, as
expected, it wasn't perched conveniently on the power pole as mentioned by
Herb Dingmann.  I pulled ahead down the hill and started scanning with
binoculars on the west side of Yale Avenue (N of Hwy7).  As I was scanning I
suddenly spotted the owl flying in from the west.  I watched it fly closer
where it eventually flew behind a farmstead (with a very noticeable red
barn) but didn't come out on the other side.  I searched for it's perch for
quite a while but was unable to relocate it.  I suspect it was hanging out
in or behind the woods to the west or north of the farmhouse, waiting for it
to get darker before finding a higher perch to hunt from.  I finally gave up
trying to relocate it and moved on.

I was able to (finally) locate a Snowy Owl in Meeker County in the "usual"
place north and west of Grove City.  It was on 310th St one half mile from
the Kandiyohi/Meeker County border.  I spotted the bird about 6pm on a power
pole.  After a while, it flew east behind some barns and sheds so I didn't
find where it ended up.

Bob Ekblad
Olmsted County in SE Minnesota
http://www.Birding-Minnesota.com