MOU-RBA Archives

April 2015

From:
Steve Weston <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Weston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Apr 2015 01:01:07 -0600
 I did have a new yard bird today: a Tufted Titmouse. That is probably the
first new yard bird in the last couple of years! I believe that I have only
found it once before in Dakota County.

I got back about an hour and a half ago from my frog & toad survey route. I
go out three times each year to listen for calling frogs and toads. The
route is about a hour south of here and is the same each year. The first
survey in early to mid April typically yields three or four species. I find
the three species (Chorus Frog, Northern Leopard Frog, and Spring Peeper)
every year on the first survey, although this year they were markedly less
abundant than previous years. This might be a result of the cold dry
weather recently. A few days from now they might be more abundant, but
probably not. The fourth species (Wood Frog) is difficult to find because
one has to time the survey just right as they the sing for only a few days.
This year I found them abundant and widespread, perhaps more-so than just
about any other year. I always also listen for night singing birds, but
this time I heard none, which is not unusual for this time of the season.

Steve Weston
On Quigley Lake in Eagan, MN