MOU-RBA Archives

August 2012

From:
Date:
Thu, 16 Aug 2012 19:20:47 -0600

Chestnut-sided Warbler
Wilson's Warbler
White-throated Sparrow
Rose-breasted Grosbeak
Baltimore Oriole
-Transcript

Hotline: Minnesota, Detroit Lakes
Date: August 16, 2012
Sponsor: Lakes Area Birding Club, Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce
Reports: 1-800-542-3992 (weekdays during business hours)
Compiler: Jeanie Joppru ([log in to unmask])

This is the Northwest Minnesota Birding Report for Thursday, August 16,
2012 sponsored by the Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce. You
may also hear this report by calling (218)847-5743 or 1-800-433-1888.

Southbound migration appears to be well underway, early though it seems.
The latest cool nights have us wondering if fall weather will set in
early as spring did. We hope that the cold weather won't also come
early. Already a few trees are showing a bit of yellow, and we are
getting reports of bird species that we haven't really seen all summer.

From Agassiz NWR in Marshall County, Lynda Knutsen reported that on
August 13, a pair of TRUMPETER SWANS with five cygnets were seen at Dahl
Pool in the interior of the refuge.

Here at our house east of Thief River Falls in Pennington County , on
August 11, a BROWN CREEPER was seen creeping up a tree trunk, and a
RED-EYED VIREO was singing loudly in the yard. On August 15 a group of
about fifteen DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANTS were seen flying over the city.
One or two RUBY-THROATED HUMMINGBIRDS continue to visit our feeder, and
the young BALTIMORE ORIOLES and YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKERS are cleaning
me out of grape jelly several times a week.

In East Grand Forks, Polk County, Russ Wilbur observed three juvenile
RED-HEADED WOODPECKERS in the greenway on August 10. At Rydell NWR he
saw a pair of TRUMPETER SWANS, three RED-NECKED GREBES, and a GREAT BLUE
HERON. Sandy Aubol reported RED-EYED VIREO, NASHVILLE WARBLER, WILSON'S
WARBLER, BLACK-AND-WHITE WARBLER, YELLOW WARBLER, WHITE-THROATED
SPARROW, BALTIMORE ORIOLE, and ROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAK in her yard on
August 13. A RED-TAILED HAWK was perched on a neighbor's roof. More
warblers were seen on August 15 including CHESTNUT-SIDED WARBLER,
BLACKBURNIAN WARBLER, TENNESSEE WARBLER, and AMERICAN REDSTART.

Marshall Howe in Dorset ,in Hubbard County on August 14, observed
RED-EYED VIREO, and YELLOW-THROATED VIREO. The following warblers were
also seen: COMMON YELLOWTHROAT, CHESTNUT-SIDED WARBLER, AMERICAN
REDSTART, MAGNOLIA WARBLER, BLACKBURNIAN WARBLER, ORANGE-CROWNED
WARBLER, and TENNESSEE WARBLER.

Thanks to Lynda Knutsen, Marshall Howe, Russ Wilbur, and Sandy Aubol for
their reports.

Please report bird sightings to Jeanie Joppru by email, no later than
Thursday each week, at [log in to unmask] OR call the Detroit Lakes
Chamber's toll free number: 1-800-542-3992. Detroit Lakes area birders
please call 847-9202. Please include the county where the sighting took
place. The next scheduled update of this report is Thursday,August 23,
2012.

Jeanie Joppru
Pennington County, MN