MOU-RBA Archives

May 2009

From:
Matt Dufort <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Matt Dufort <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 May 2009 22:38:39 -0600
This morning there was a Hudsonian Godwit on Long Meadow Lake at the Bass
Ponds in Bloomington, Hennepin County.  It was present from at least 7:30 to
9:00 when I left.  I first saw it flying around the lake, then feeding in
fairly deep water on the far side of the lake.  It was sometimes out in the
deep water among the dabbling ducks, well away from any other shorebirds.
This was looking out across the water from the main dike trail.  There is
tons of mud, and there were plenty of other shorebirds - about 150
yellowlegs (almost all Lesser), 2 Solitary Sandpipers, and 3 very distant
dowitchers.  Landbird migration was slow - lots of Yellow-rumped and Palm
Warblers, but not much else.  I also flushed 5 Black-crowned Night-Herons
out of the cattail marshes, and heard my first Sora of the year.

After seeing so many shorebirds at the Bass Ponds, I decided to check out
other shorebird spots around the area.  I turned up the following:

180th Street Marsh, north of Vermillion

15 Pectoral Sandpipers, Lesser Yellowlegs, 2 Solitary Sandpipers (and a
couple I ran into had seen a Baird's Sandpiper there as well)

Also in the area were Brewer's Blackbirds, which I've had trouble finding
this spring, and a Loggerhead Shrike along 180th just east of Emery Ave.

Randolph Industrial Park

1 singing Grasshopper Sparrow, my first of the year (per others, there are
also still a few Lapland Longspurs here)

Lake Byllesby

11 Willets, 1 Greater and 40 Lesser Yellowlegs, 1 Dunlin, 1 Wilson's
Phalarope

Nicollet Sewage Ponds

many Lesser and 2 Greater Yellowlegs, 1 Wilson's Phalarope, 1 Least
Sandpiper, 1 Baird's Sandpiper, 1 Long-billed Dowitcher, 1 Spotted
Sandpiper, and a ton of Yellow-headed Blackbirds

12 shorebird species today!  Pretty exciting for this part of the state.

Good birding,

Matt Dufort

Minneapolis