MOU-RBA Archives

July 2013

From:
CRAIG MANDEL <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
CRAIG MANDEL <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jul 2013 07:22:15 -0600
7/5/13

On Thursday, 7/4 between 12:30 and 1:30 pm.  I birded the traditional spot for Chestnut-collared Longspurs.  The area was quit active and I was able to drive the entire road, from the South end to the North end.  But do note as previously mentioned there are some very soft sandy areas along the road, just North of the area where the Chestnut-collared Longspurs are.  That would likely be impassable if there had been any recent rains in the area.

To reach the road, from the intersection of CR 26 and MN 9.  Go East on CR 26 (90th Ave. N), about 3 miles to 170th St. N.  Turn left on to 170th St. N and continue along this road for the next 5 miles.  The area with the Chestnut-collared Longspurs is the first 1/2 mile North of the first Cattle guard.  Which is the same area where the Sprague's Pipit was observed last year.

Here area a few of the birds I observed along the road.

Clay county

Upland Sandpiper
Western Kingbird
Loggerhead Shrike - Two Loggerhead Shrikes were observed at the very North end of the road, with one being observed near the parking area just West of 170th St N, along CR 8 (140 Ave. N).
Horned Lark
Bank Swallow - 300 +
Veery
Chestnut-collared Longspur - Two displaying males were observed, just North of the first Cattle guard.
Grasshopper Sparrow
Bobolink
Orchard Oriole

Craig Mandel