MOU-RBA Archives

November 2009

From:
Howard Towle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Howard Towle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Nov 2009 08:46:58 -0700
While hiking at Lake Rebecca Park Reserve in western Hennepin County
on Sunday afternoon, I came upon a Mute Swan. The swan was in an
impoundment area together with about two dozen Trumpeter Swans just
west of Lake Rebecca (directions below). The reason for the delay in
posting this was that I wanted to check with the Three Rivers Park
folks about the possible status of this bird. They tell me that they
do not currently have any captive or rehabbed Mute Swans and that this
swan occasionally flies in to join the Trumpeters. It is perhaps one
that overwinters near Monticello. There were no signs of clipped wings
or tags evident. Hence, I suspect that this is a wild bird. Also
present were a number of Cackling Geese.

Howard Towle
Golden Valley, MN

Directions: Enter Lake Rebecca Park from County Road 50 just south of
Highway 55 and turn right. Park at the top of the hill near the
reservation picnic grounds. There is an access road that heads off
east from the end of the parking lot near the trailhead for the
Deerwood Trail. Follow the access road east, then south and east again
for about 1/2 mile and you will come to a small pond where the swans
were.