MOU-RBA Archives

August 2016

From:
KIm Eckert <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
KIm Eckert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Aug 2016 13:51:52 -0600
The Minn Birding Weekends group found a minimum of 4,000 Purple Martins this morning concentrated on the utility wires at the Morris sewage ponds. This was a careful and conservative estimate based on some us doing counts in increments of 100. Also here was a great study of all 4 regular peeps: White-rumped (a rarity in fall), Baird's, Semipalmated, Least. They were literally side-by-side for several minutes only about 25-30 feet away in excellent light.

Also during the past few days in the counties in the Morris area were a total of 15 shorebird species (no concentrations or large mudflats found - N Ottawa impoundment in Grant Co was disappointing), E Screech-Owl on 270 St just W of Stevens CR 7, Olive-sided Flycatcher at Bonanza Grove in Big Stone Co, but relatively few migrant passerines (e.g., only 10 warbler species in 3 days).

We were unable to relocate the ibis I saw in Traverse Co on Thursday. But some of us did see the Blue Grosbeak(s) today in Swift Co on 200th Ave SW, 0.4 mi N of Hwy 59.

Kim Eckert
Duluth MN

Sent from my iPhone