MOU-RBA Archives

October 2010

From:
John Cyrus <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Cyrus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Oct 2010 13:09:54 -0600
A Great-tailed Grackle(male) was with  flock of ~200 Common Grackles in a field on the west side of Cty. Rd. 151 in southern Carver County this morning.    Luckily for me he spent quite a bit of time just posing in one spot giving me good size comparisons.  His bright yellow eyes and iridescent  body really stood out.    The Grackles eventually moved away from the road further into the fields.  Also near that area was a large mixed flock of Ring-billed(didn't count) and Franklin's Gulls(167)(Farmer was tilling the field which is what probably attracted the gulls in the first place).

Other birds seen this morning

Carver Park

American Wigeon 13 (down from 82 earlier in the week though I didn't check one location that probably had some)
Northern Shoveler 45
Ring-necked Duck 215 (most arrived between Thurs. evening and this morning)
Bufflehead 31
Hooded Merganser 1 (numbers down from Thursday.   Canvasback, Redhead, and Scaup(most of the Scaup had left before Thurs.) also departed between Thurs. evening and this morning.)
Yellow-rumped Warbler 1

Minnesota Landscape Arboretum

Wood Duck 2
Killdeer 1
Great Horned Owl 1
Golden-crowned Kinglet 3
Yellow-rumped Warbler 1
Fox, Song, Swamp, White-throated Sparrow, and Junco

Lake Waconia (Common Loons last seen on lake on Monday and last Horned Grebes seen on Sunday)

American Coot 110
Ring-billed Gull (a few after many hundred roosted there overnight)

State Hwy. 284 south of Waconia

Cattle Egret 1

Salem Ave.

~1000 Red-winged Blackbird

Assumption Lake

Ruddy Duck ~20 (surprised to even see these there, as 6 trucks and a couple boats of hunters were packing up when I got there.  All other waterfowl that had been on lakes open to hunting earlier in the week were gone)
Franklin's Gull 35

Yesterday at Rapids Lake MVNWR

Golden-crowned Kinglet 6
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 1