MOU-RBA Archives

January 2013

Sender:
Rare Bird Alert <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Scott Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jan 2013 12:02:15 -0700
Over my lunch break I scoped some gulls hanging out in the Mississippi
River in front of the Science Museum of MN, in Downtown St. Paul, from
Upper Landing Park, which is just East of Shepard Rd. and across from Eagle
Pkwy.  A first winter Thayer's and a first winter Glaucous Gull were among
the 22 Herring Gulls sitting on the ice.  (I had also seen a Glaucous Gull
at this location on 1/10/13).
While watching these gulls, a Lesser Black-backed Gull (possible 3rd
winter) soared around the sitting gulls and then flew up river towards the
High Bridge with 3 Herring Gulls.  This gull was slightly smaller and more
narrow winged then the other soaring Herring Gulls.  The gull had a very
dark gray mantle and was heavily streaked from the head through the neck
and slightly into the chest.  The upper and lower wing tips were very dark
with a single white spot or window on the edge of the wing.
A Bald Eagle eventually disturbed the sitting gulls, and they flew further
down river.

Scott B. Meyer
Hennepin