MOU-RBA Archives

September 2012

From:
Conny Brunell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Conny Brunell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Sep 2012 17:12:00 -0600
I had the good fortune to observe a Hudsonian Godwit late this afternoon at the Bass Ponds in Bloomington, Hennepin County.  It was along Long Meadow Lake northeast of the Hog Back Ridge Trail sign over near the beaver lodge probing along the shallow shore.  Something spooked the Geese & Ducks and they all took flight including the Hudsonian Godwit as they circled overhead.  The birds distinctive pointed wings with a narrow white wing stripe upperwing, and the black underwing linings were easily observed.  You could see its black tail and white rump as it circled and headed southwest along the Lake.  I do not know if it settled back down along the lake or headed out.

Bass Ponds Trailhead

Bass Ponds is in Bloomington, Hennepin County in the Minnesota Valley National Wildlife Refuge Long Meadow Lake Unit.  Bass Ponds Trailhead is at the end of E. 86th St.  From I-494, exit onto 24th Ave.  Drive south past the Mall of America and turn left on E. 86th St and follow the road (signed) to the upper parking lot.

Conny Brunell
Richfield, Hennepin Co.