MOU-RBA Archives

July 2018

Sender:
From:
Date:
Thu, 12 Jul 2018 19:36:19 -0600

Yellow Warbler
Chestnut-sided Warbler
Pine Warbler
Scarlet Tanager
Northern Cardinal
-Transcript

Hotline: Minnesota, Detroit Lakes
Date: July 12, 2018
Sponsor: Lakes Area Birding Club, Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce
Reports: 218-847-5743 or 218-847-9202
Compiler: Jeanie Joppru ([log in to unmask])

This is the Northwest Minnesota Birding Report for Thursday, July 12,
2018 sponsored by the Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce. You
may also see this report on the Chamber of Commerce website:
https://www.visitdetroitlakes.com/birding-report

Due to the very hot, humid weather throughout the state, few folks have
sent in reports the last couple of weeks. However, bird life seems to be
very busy none-the-less. The yards are teeming with young birds, and
birding by ear is becoming difficult because of the many young
fledglings trying to find their voices. Shorebirds are already on their
way back south, but spots to view them are hard to find. Recent rains
have raised water levels throughout the region and we may get some good
habitat in the near future.

In Becker County, Suzanne Smith reported a YELLOW-BREASTED CHAT on July
7 at Tamarac NWR. I have no knowledge of where the bird was seen, or if
anyone else has seen it. Also at Tamarac NWR, David Crow reported
HOOEDED MERGANSER , RED-NECKED GREBE, PINE WARBLER, , CHESTNUT-SIDED
WARBLER, BLACK-AND-WHITE WARBLER, YELLOW WARBLER, AMERICAN REDSTART, and
PURPLE FINCH on June 29.

Alex Sundvall observed a SAY'S PHOEBE at Felton Prairie in Clay County
on June 24. A NORTHERN CARDINAL was seen in Moorhead on June 28 by Kathy
Bresee.

In Polk County, Heidi Hughes reported a HORNED GREBE at the Agassiz
Valley Impoundment on June 29. A COOPER'S HAWK was seen by Russ Wilbur
on the East Grand Forks bike path on June 27.

Here in Pennington County, I can report two families of EASTERN
BLUEBIRDS nesting in our yard. A pair of GRAY CATBIRDS raised their
family here also. A GREAT HORNED OWL was heard across the river from us
on July 8, and several times I have heard crows mobbing it.

From Agassiz NWR in Marshall County, Jim Hughes reported a SPRAGUE'S
PIPIT at the end of the Auto tour route on July 10. I have no other
information on that sighting.

Beth Siverhus observed MERLIN in Warroad, OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER,
SCARLET TANAGER, EASTERN BLUEBIRD and LE CONTE'S SPARROW in Roseau
County the week of June 28.

Please report bird sightings to Jeanie Joppru by email, no later than
Thursday each week, at [log in to unmask] OR call the Detroit Lakes
Chamber's numbers 218-847-5743 or 218- 847-9202. Please include the
county where the sighting took place. The next scheduled update of this
report is Thursday, July 19, 2018.

Jeanie Joppru
Pennington County, MN