MOU-RBA Archives

May 2010

From:
Dave Bartkey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Bartkey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 May 2010 19:10:49 -0600
Hi everyone,
  While attempting a big day in Rice County today, Gene Bauer, Dan Tallman and I found a singing male Hooded Warbler in the east side of Cannon River Wilderness Park. We all had great looks! This is the third year in a row that I have seen or heard a Hooded Warbler in this very spot, which is about 100 yards before the land opens up and you would encounter the boardwalk. This was also one of 19 warbler species today. We tallied a total of 129 birds - far short of the record. (143)

  Highlights:
Hooded Warbler
2 Cerulean Warblers
Acadian Flycatcher
Black-billed Cuckoo
Lark Sparrow
Eurasian Collared Dove
2 Western Grebes
2 Red-necked Grebes
Scarlet Tanagers (many)

Oh, and one bird that started off my day in a nice way was a calling Common Nighthawk above my apt. building at 4:45 am.

Good birding!

Dave Bartkey
Faribault, MN