MOU-RBA Archives

August 2018

Sender:
From:
Date:
Thu, 16 Aug 2018 18:05:20 -0600

American Redstart
Yellow Warbler
Chestnut-sided Warbler
Canada Warbler
Wilson's Warbler
-Transcript

Hotline: Minnesota, Detroit Lakes
Date: August 16, 2018
Sponsor: Lakes Area Birding Club, Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce
Reports: 218-847-5743 or 218-847-9202
Compiler: Jeanie Joppru ([log in to unmask])

This is the Northwest Minnesota Birding Report for Thursday, August 16,
2018 sponsored by the Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce. You
may also see this report on the Chamber of Commerce website:
https://www.visitdetroitlakes.com/birding-report

Another hot week has passed, and the drought in the northwest is taking
its toll on yards, and trees. We were reminded of fall's approach,
however, when we awoke one morning to temperatures in the 40’s. That
heralded one cooler day, but it was ninety again today, and no rain in
sight. We are noticing that the deer and other mammals are increasingly
predating on the plants in our gardens, presumably looking for something
juicy.

From the N. Ottawa impoundment in Grant County, Wayne Perala reported
the presence of about 200 GREAT EGRETS and at least one SNOWY EGRET on
August 11. Dick Bierman also found a WHITE-FACED IBIS there on August
16. Also in Grant County, Charlene Nelson reported a WINTER WREN on
August 13, SHARP-SHINNED HAWK on August 14, and NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH and
CHESTNUT-SIDED WARBLER on August 16. She also had several ORCHARD
ORIOLES and a COMMON NIGHTHAWK this week. A BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER was
seen in a neighbor's field.

Ben Martin found a BLUE-GRAY GNATCATCHER near Perham in Otter Tail
County on August 13.

Sandy Aubol in East Grand Forks, Polk County has reported nine warbler
species at her bird bath this week- NASHVILLE WARBLER, TENNESSEE
WARBLER, CANADA WARBLER, WILSON'S WARBLER, CHESTNUT-SIDED WARBLER,
YELLOW WARBLER, COMMON YELLOWTHROAT, AMERICAN REDSTART, and MOURNING
WARBLER.

In Roseau County, a RUSTY BLACKBIRD was reported.

Please report bird sightings to Jeanie Joppru by email, no later than
Thursday each week, at [log in to unmask] OR call the Detroit Lakes
Chamber's numbers 218-847-5743 or 218- 847-9202. Please include the
county where the sighting took place. The next scheduled update of this
report is Thursday, August 23, 2018.

Jeanie Joppru
Pennington County, MN