MOU-RBA Archives

December 2012

Sender:
Rare Bird Alert <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Jason Caddy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Dec 2012 00:05:08 -0700
On the morning of 12/24 I birded Aitkin county in search of the elusive Great Gray Owls that were previously reported. I found one on Co. Rd. 18 about 1.5 miles west of Pietz's Road. It was quite an amazing bird that was hunting with a temperature of zero degrees at 7:30AM. This is only the second great gray I have ever seen and the first in almost six years. I then looked for the previously reported Snowy Owl on Hwy. 169. I could not find it in the huge field but in its place was a large Gray Wolf that ran away quickly once I saw it in my binoculars. Further north in this field was a small flock of Horned Lark. Back on the snow mobile trail directly south of Pietz's Road I found four White-winged Crossbills, five Gray Jays and a single Golden-crowned Kinglet foraging in some small Black Spruce trees. I also saw a Northern Shrike on Co. Rd. 18 and another on Hwy 169. Thank you to those who previously reported the Great Gray owl location!   Jason Caddy    Minneapolis