MOU-RBA Archives

May 2012

From:
linda whyte <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
linda whyte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 May 2012 07:18:55 -0600
Acadian Flycatchers have returned to this Rice County park area. Over a
couple of Cerulean Warblers' songs came the distinct "PIT-za" call a few
times, before it went silent for awhile. I'm guessing the larger, shadowy
bird that entered the scene briefly, was a Cooper's Hawk. When it showed
up, the Acadians would only make  chip calls. After its departure, I heard
the full calls again, and one of the Acadians showed itself in plain sight
at the second (dry) stream crossing (the one without a bridge, where the
path leads down into the stream-bed).

Some of the other birds present were:
Scarlet Tanager, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Great-Crested Flycatcher,
Ovenbird, Wood Pewee, American Redstart, Indigo Bunting, Yellow Warbler,
Common Yellow-throat, Blue-winged Warbler, and at least one other Empid
species in the open brushy areas of the Cannon bottoms. Wood Thrush sang
from the hillside beyond the boundary of the trail, and Barred Owls were
calling across the river, in the West Wilderness area. We listened, but did
not hear any of the Cuckoos present in the past, nor did we see any sign of
the Common Nighthawk caught snoozing on a branch here a couple of weeks ago.

Linda Whyte