MOU-RBA Archives

July 2009

From:
Larry Sirvio <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Sirvio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jul 2009 15:56:24 -0600
Paid one last visit (or so I thought) to Falls Creek SNA in northern
Washington Co - with Bill Bronn.
The bird singing activity was striking compared to Monday at Afton SP. I
wonder if the yesterday's rain helped.

We heard yellow throated vireos, Acadian flycatcher, possible scarlet
tanager, lots of great crested flycatchers, red eyed vireos, possible blue
headed vireo (Bill knows this one) and saw a family of hairy woodpeckers (1
juv for sure). I also recorded a song that I identified after I got home -
It was a summer tanager. I should have known this one because I heard it so
many times in the last two weeks at Afton SP.
If someone wants to hear the recording I will send it. It sounds quite like
the one from Afton SP that Julian Sellers placed on the MOU website.
http://www.moumn.org/gallery/index.php?region=MN

On the way home I also saw a pair of sandhill cranes (1 juv) feeding along
Manning Ave south of 170th St.

Falls Creek SNA is just north of Pilar Ave on the east side of Highway 95 in
Scandia TWP.
Larry Sirvio