MOU-RBA Archives

December 2008

Sender:
Rare Bird Alert <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Cheri Steinmueller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Dec 2008 20:25:39 +0000
I had been following the postings of Nov. 22, Nov. 29, and Nov. 30 regarding a location in Scott County near the intersection of Hwy. 101 and 169 (west to stop light on 101 at River Road/ Stagecoach Rd., then north on River Rd.) where a flock of 30 or more White-winged Crossbills have been seen.  We arrived at the parking lot at about 10AM today and continued through the gate to the grove of spruce trees on the north side of the road.  Over the next 45 minutes, groupings of the 30 White-winged Crossbills would noisily fly into the trees near the road, feed on the cones for 2-5 minutes, fly off, then return again in about 5 minute intervals.  They always flew deeper north and east into the grove while we were there but Linda Whyte saw them fly across 101 to the south last Saturday.  I noticed that there is another grove of spruce trees over there and  I was prepared to search that grove if necessary.  However, it appears that they'll come to you if you're patient. We, too, enjoyed w
atching them pluck the cones and carry them to a more stable bough to feed off of the seeds.  We could see their crossed bills with our scope.  The colors of both sexes and their bold, white wing bars were quite easy to see even with binoculars.  I was delighted to add this bird to my Life List.  I have searched for it along the North Shore and at Sherbourne NWR without success. There's a good article about this bird at e-bird.org.

Cheri Steinmueller
Little Canada