MOU-RBA Archives

July 2014

From:
Date:
Thu, 24 Jul 2014 20:19:24 -0600

White-throated Sparrow
Bobolink
Baltimore Oriole
House Finch
American Goldfinch
-Transcript

Hotline: Minnesota, Detroit Lakes
Date: July 24, 2014
Sponsor: Lakes Area Birding Club, Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce
Reports: 1-800-542-3992 (weekdays during business hours)
Compiler: Jeanie Joppru ([log in to unmask])

This is the Northwest Minnesota Birding Report for Thursday, July 24,
2014 sponsored by the Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce. You
may also hear this report by calling (218)847-5743 or 1-800-433-1888.

This has been a very quiet period here in the northwest during the past
two weeks. Perhaps it is the coming of summer weather finally , summer
vacations, or maybe the weather events of the past week. Whatever the
reason, there are few reports, but many young birds to watch none the
less. From 2 -5 inches of rain a few days ago has brought out the bugs,
and the flycatchers are very busy.

Emily Hutchins reported a HUDSONIAN GODWIT seen by Rich Peet on the east
side of Marcoux Corner in Polk County on July 12. That is the
intersection of MN 32 and US 2.

On July 23 , a COOPER'S HAWK was chased out of our yard in Pennington
County by the two resident EASTERN KINGBIRDS. A RED-HEADED WOODPECKER
and a RED-BELLIED WOODPECKER continue to make sporadic visits to the
suet feeder. Many AMERICAN GOLDFINCHES, HOUSE FINCHES, and lately young
BALTIMORE ORIOLES are also coming regularly. From time to time, the
GREAT CRESTED FLYCATCHERS have a spat in the yard. I had no idea that
the family would be so noisy until conditions this year caused them to
stick around the yard during the nesting season.

On July 19 , I spotted several TURKEY VULTURES in Marshall County, and
also in both Roseau and Kittson Counties.

Judy Meredith was birding in Roseau County this week and at the Roseau
Wastewater Treatment Ponds on July 20, she found 10-12 WILSON'S
PHALAROPES, a LESSER YELLOWLEGS, SPOTTED SANDPIPERS, KILLDEER, and a
HOODED MERGANSER with young. In wetlands in the area were 4 MARBLED
GODWITS, 12 SANDHILL CRANES and some BOBOLINKS. I was at the Roseau
River WMA and elsewhere in the county on July 19, and found 2 COMMON
LOONS, a RED-NECKED GREBE, and a DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANT with a catch
at the WMA, and there and other places, I found SPOTTED SANDPIPERS,
SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPER, one STILT SANDPIPER, WILSON’S SNIPE, BLACK
TERNS, MARSH WRENS, LE CONTE’S SPARROW, many CEDAR WAXWINGS, and a
singing WHITE-THROATED SPARROW.

In Kittson County just south of Lake Bronson along US 59 I found a pair
of SANDHILL CRANES with one colt on the east side along the railroad
tracks.

Thanks to Emily Hutchins, and Judy Meredith for their reports. Please
keep those reports coming in as what may not be important to you may be
just what someone else wants to see.

Please report bird sightings to Jeanie Joppru by email, no later than
Thursday each week, at [log in to unmask] OR call the Detroit Lakes
Chamber's toll free number: 1-800-542-3992. Detroit Lakes area birders
please call 847-9202. Please include the county where the sighting took
place. The next scheduled update of this report is Thursday, July 31,
2014.

Jeanie Joppru
Pennington County, MN