MOU-RBA Archives

April 2014

From:
Josh Wallestad <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Josh Wallestad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Apr 2014 19:57:45 -0600
At 7:20 PM I went to the Yohi State Wildlife Management Area a couple miles to
the east of the city of Kandiyohi in Kandiyohi County to look for migrating owls.  I
found something just as good when I managed to discover a Spotted Towhee.  I
snapped a couple photos but lost track of the bird while calling Steve Gardner.
Steve came out anyway and we were not able to relocate it.

This WMA can be accessed by two very long easements - one on the north side
that goes to US Hwy 12 and one on the west side that goes to 105th St. SE.  I
came in on the north easement from US 12.  The easement terminates in a smal
parking lot.  From the parking lot I walked due south toward the east-west
plantation of pines which is on a low ridge.  On the east edge of the pines there
is a small north/south path with a few shrubs on the east and the pines on the
west.  The towhee was moving around in this shrubby area and then flew to a
lone Cottonwood tree by the big slough on the WMA.  After that I lost track of it.

The easement from US Hwy 12 is about a half mile west of 120th St. NE.

My eBird checklist with pictures of the Spotted Towhee is below.