MOU-RBA Archives

July 2009

From:
Robert P Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert P Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jul 2009 21:30:38 -0600
Well the cafe food in town borders on hell but yesterday I saw 8 and
today 6 Snowy Egrets just outside the town of Ashby, Grant County in
full breeding plumage, all adorned with long aigrettes.  To see these
birds at very close range get off I-94 at the Ashby exit, go north
about 1.9 miles and turn right on County 10.  Look for a "State Goose
refuge" on the left and a small park and stream draining out of Melby
Lake into Pelican lake.  The egrets and several Great Egrets were
feeding in the stream race about 50 yards off the road on the west side
of #10.  The cafe does have good California burgers and lots of
ambiance (lots of dead critters stuffed including some uncommon
species, all watching you from above) but nothing on the menu vaguely
resembling anything requiring a recipe.  The sewage ponds had Forster's
terns and of course if you visit you must pay homage to the big old
Coot statue with red eyes just south of town.  Speaking of old coots
one of MOU's finest was once the assistant basketball coach (Go
Arrows!!) in this town.  Fortunately for us this potential Bob Cousy
turned to birds instead of bball.  Bob Russell