MOU-RBA Archives

January 2009

From:
Don Kienholz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Don Kienholz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jan 2009 08:02:38 -0700

I observed the Golden-crowned Sparrow Saturday morning January 17th from about 9:45 until around 10:00 AM at the College St address feeders. The bird then flew west across College Street at rooftop height. There are some tall white pines in the back yards of houses across the street and some brushy areas with cedars. I walked up and down Kent Road (the next road west of College street) to see if I could see the bird or find any feeders. Unfortunately there is not an alley to view the back yards here.

There may be other feeders in the backyards in the area that are not visible, and the bird has been using these sources for food, water, and cover during this gap in sightings at the College street location.  The recent cold snap and one more forecast this weekend is testing our overwintering sparrows. I have a White-throated Sparrow still at my feeders present since late Nov. and there have been reports in Duluth of Am Tree, and Fox Sparrows as well..
all have been at feeders.

regards,

Don Kienholz
Duluth, MN
Windows Live™ Hotmail®: Chat. Store. Share. Do more with mail.
http://windowslive.com/explore?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_t1_hm_justgotbetter_explore_012009