MOU-RBA Archives

June 2014

From:
"Heins, Chad" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Heins, Chad
Date:
Fri, 20 Jun 2014 07:21:27 -0600
Hey birders,

I was having one of those surreal moments in birding Thursday night as
Chris Thiem, Tom Dahlen, and I stood looking at a Wood Stork in a flooded
windbreak that had been damaged by the powerful storms that pummeled
southern Minnesota the last couple of days.  The bird calmly moved from
flooded pool to flooded pool picking up earthworms and throwing them back
into its throat.  I posted a picture to MOU’s Recently Seen.

We were made aware of this bird by Wayne Feder who made the initial
identification after being contacted by the homeowner.  We attempted to
talk to the homeowners while there, but no one was around last night.
 Wayne may be able to provide more information soon.  At this point, I can
tell you it was in Faribault County west of Blue Earth along the I-90
corridor.  Hopefully, more information can be shared in the near future.

Happy birding!

Chad Heins

Mankato, MN