MOU-RBA Archives

April 2018

From:
Date:
Fri, 6 Apr 2018 19:45:36 -0600

American Tree Sparrow
Fox Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco
Common Grackle
Yellow-rumped Warbler
-Transcript

Hotline: Minnesota, Detroit Lakes
Date: April 6, 2018
Sponsor: Lakes Area Birding Club, Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce
Reports: 1-800-542-3992 (weekdays during business hours)
Compiler: Jeanie Joppru ([log in to unmask])

This is the Northwest Minnesota Birding Report for Friday, April 6, 2018
sponsored by the Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce. You may
also see this report on the Chamber of Commerce website:
https://www.visitdetroitlakes.com/birding-report

Our spring has had a relapse this week as we are having record cold
temperatures, along with snow and wind. A quick trip to the twin cities
yesterday revealed that we in the north are closer to bare ground than
the south central part of the state, but none the less we are feeling
the cold. Migration, one started, continues, albeit at a slower pace.
Horned larks are paired up, and raptors are streaming in with bald
eagles, rough-legged hawks, red-tailed hawks, and American kestrels
being reported almost everywhere.

Otter Tail County seems to have some of all of the expected March and
early April migrants back. Tami Worner reported that an OSPREY was seen
on March 31 in Henning . Teresa Jaskiewicz observed SHARP-SHINNED HAWK,
AMERICAN KESTREL, NORTHERN HARRIER, DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANTS, AMERICAN
COOTS, FOX SPARROW, COMMON GRACKLE, and AMERICAN TREE SPARROW around
Elizabeth this week.

Hal Sanders saw a KILLDEER along Becker CR 29 on March 31, the first
that has been reported to me this spring. On April 5, I saw a NORTHERN
HARRIER, a NORTHERN SHRIKE, a RED-TAILED HAWK and TRUMPETER SWANS in the
county.

A late SNOWY OWL was seen in Mahnomen County on April 5. Also in the
county TRUMPETER SWANS, and a RING-NECKED PHEASANT were seen on April 5.

In eastern Polk County, Connie Cox reported ROUGH-LEGGED HAWKS, NORTHERN
HARRIER, and RED-TAILED HAWKS this week. Between McIntosh and Mentor she
saw 7 TURKEY VULTURES.

I found a GOLDEN EAGLE in Red Lake County feeding with about 12-15 BALD
EAGLES on some carrion in a field on March 31. All of the raptors
mentioned above were also found in Red Lake County that day.

Connie Cox reported AMERICAN WOODCOCK, SNOW BUNTINGS, COMMON REDPOLLS
and DARK-EYED JUNCOS in Clearwater County around Itasca SP this week.

In Beltrami County, Nancy Wasik mentioned a large number of COMMON
REDPOLLS in the area this week. Best news of all, Doug Johnson reported
the first YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER in Beltrami County on March 3o.

Beth Siverhus in Roseau County observed SHARP-TAILED GROUSE, NORTHERN
SHRIKE, and RED CROSSBILLS in the area this week. A SNOWY OWL was also
observed by Shirlee Boyd close to the Canadian border. AMERICAN ROBINS,
and 2 MERLINS were also reported. Many BALD EAGLES are very visible in
the area as the snow melt reveals the carcasses of many deer that were
killed by cars in the winter.

Please report bird sightings to Jeanie Joppru by email, no later than
Thursday each week, at [log in to unmask] OR call the Detroit Lakes
Chamber's numbers 218-847-5743 or 218- 847-9202. Please include the
county where the sighting took place and if possible the date when the
bird was seen. The next scheduled update of this report is Thursday,
April 12,2018.

Jeanie Joppru
Pennington County, MN