MOU-RBA Archives

July 2009

Sender:
From:
Date:
Thu, 23 Jul 2009 19:35:37 -0600

Brown Creeper
Scarlet Tanager
Chestnut-collared Longspur
Baltimore Oriole
House Finch
-Transcript

Hotline: Minnesota, Detroit Lakes
Date: July 23, 2009
Sponsor: Lakes Area Birding Club, Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce
Reports: 1-800-542-3992 (weekdays during business hours)
Compiler: Jeanie Joppru ([log in to unmask])

This is the Northwest Minnesota Birding Report for Thursday, July 24,
2009 sponsored by the Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce. You
may also hear this report by calling (218)847-5743 or 1-800-433-1888.

It seems that we are in the summer doldrums for the last two weeks, even
as the birds are frantically feeding young. Few reports have come in,
but this report will update the conditions. No big rain events have
occurred except in isolated areas so conditions are as expected for
summer birding. Insects have proliferated over the last two weeks, so
birders should come prepared with repellents.

Linda Felker was in Becker County on July 13 where she observed a WILD
TURKEY with young. At Tamarac NWR she found a BROWN CREEPER, and SCARLET
TANAGER.

At Felton Prairie on July 14, Linda saw a COMMON LOON at the lake there,
and of course the CHESTNUT-COLLARED LONGSPURS.

On July 21, Anita Vettleson reported a RED-HEADED WOODPECKER at her home
near Oklee in Red Lake County.

Here in Pennington County, a family of YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKERS is
visiting my grape jelly feeders. They seem to be using the mountain ash
tree a bit less since I fill the jelly every day. I hope it will save
the tree. The yard is full of baby EASTERN WOOD-PEWEES, BALTIMORE
ORIOLES, and HOUSE FINCHES.

At Agassiz NWR in Marshall County, returning shorebirds are starting to
show up, and there is good habitat along CR 7 at Parker Pool where
tonight I saw several species. Time did not permit me to identify them
all due to an approaching thunderstorm.

In Kittson County, Larry Wilebski saw 19 BLACK-BILLED MAGPIES about a
mile from his cabin on July 23.

Thanks to Anita Vettleson, Linda Felker, and Larry Wilebski for their
reports.

Please report bird sightings to Jeanie Joppru by email, no later than
Thursday each week, at [log in to unmask] OR call the Detroit Lakes
Chamber's toll free number: 1-800-542-3992. Detroit Lakes area birders
please call 847-9202. Please include the county where the sighting took
place. The next scheduled update of this report is Thursday, July 31,
2009.

Jeanie Joppru
Pennington County, MN