MOU-RBA Archives

December 2008

Sender:
Rare Bird Alert <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Steve Weston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Dec 2008 23:20:48 -0700
Jill Wood reported a Snowy Owl on 12/11 along the Hwy 55 near the golf course (CR-85).  I do not know of anyone refinding it.

On Saturday we did a snowy Bloomington CBC.  Best birds included: Black Duck with about 300 Mallards in a very small pond at Coldwater Spring (Ft. Snelling), 2 Red-breasted Nuthatches (at feeder by Acacia Cemetery), Cooper's Hawk, and 190 Cedar Waxwings (at 3 locations including 130 at hotel NE of I-494 and Pilot Knob.  Flock is there consistanly).

Today (Monday):
I was watching a Blue Jay flying over frozen Quiggley Lake, when I realized something was amiss.  It was moving too fast with much slower wing beats than a Blue Jay.  It could only be a Shrike.

Driving for close to an hour on Hwy 212 between Norwood/Young America and Eden Prairie, I was struck by how devoid of bird the landscape appeared.  The only birds were a few pigeons, a couple of flying Turkeys (always cool), a crow, and one Red-tailed Hawk.