MOU-RBA Archives

January 2010

From:
Jim Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 9 Jan 2010 17:41:16 -0700
Hello Birders,
This morning at 11:50 on the way to Scott Mehus' class on Golden Eagle ID at
the National Eagle Center <http://www.nationaleaglecenter.net/> in Wabasha,
I located one in Frontenac between 296th and Ski Rd (mile markers 83 and
82).

I pulled over and observed it flying, perched and flying away again (to the
North) over about 2-3 minutes.  I viewed it both through binoculars and
scope. It exhibited signs of both juvenile and adult.  The entire underside
of the bird was dark brown; belly, tail and underwing. The top of the wings
showed pale bars and the base of the upperside of the tail was white. The
Golden nape shone in the sun as it swooped down to it's perch. It flew with
a mild dihedral and had a lighter quality to the wing motion than a BAEA.

Once on route with Scott (after the lecture and *in Wisconsin*) we managed
to see one Golden Eagle, numerous Bald Eagles, several red-tailed
hawks and*3 rough-legged hawks
* - all together; 2 dark-morph and 1 light morph)  Quite a day for raptors.

--
Sincerely,

Jim Ryan
Saint Paul's Westside
--
"Life is the art of drawing sufficient conclusions from insufficient
premises." - Samuel Butler

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape
finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -Roman Emperor Marcus Aurelius
(121-180)