MOU-RBA Archives

April 2011

From:
Laura Coble <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Laura Coble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Apr 2011 21:14:33 -0600
This evening I visited Goodhue Lake Byllesby Park, hoping to find Common Loons, as I have in the last several years, but didn't find one.  Small flocks of migrant ducks and White Pelicans were present.

About 6:30 pm, I drove into Randolph Industrial Park, car windows open, enjoying the songs of Eastern and Western Meadowlarks.  As I turned left toward the pond behind the church, a Loggerhead Shrike landed on a post about 10 feet from the car.  It stayed perched for some time, until it saw prey and dove into the grass.  I saw its shorter black bill and broader black mask  than the Northern's easily, and it was the highlight of my day.

Other sightings today and earlier this week were:

FOY Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, 1 at my feeder this am, and 1 at Goodhue Boat  Landing on Lake Byllesby this evening

Small flocks of Ring-necked Duck, Scaup, Bufflehead, Redhead, Canvasback, Pied-billed Grebe, DC Cormorant, C. Goldeneye, C. Merganser, and A. Coot are still present at Lake Byllesby in both Dakota and Goodhue Cty,  and also in Industrial Park ponds.
White Pelicans (15):  viewed from Lakeside Cemetery (I had seen a larger flock, 31, at Lakeside on Sunday).
An Osprey flew over the dam at Goodhue Cty Park on Sunday, and I had my FOY White Pelicans (7) flying overhead, soon after that.

There are some mudflats beginning to appear  on the northwest side of Lake Byllesby now, as high waters from the snowmelt subside.

As almost always, a  male N. Cardinal at Lakeside Cemetery flew down from a tree, and began to attack his image in my  car's side mirrors as soon as I walked away from the car. He waits for any vehicle to enter the area, so he can begin defense against his reflection in the  side mirror . He also fights his image as it is reflected on a nearby dark gravestone with a polished "mirror" finish.

Laura Coble
Cannon Falls