MOU-RBA Archives

July 2014

Sender:
Rare Bird Alert <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Rare Bird Alert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jul 2014 17:04:38 -0600
Yoli and I went to Faribault Co near South Walnut Lake to find the whimbrel reported yesterday. The flooded field close to 530th Ave (exit 134 on Highway 90 – go north 1/2 mile) was almost dry but did have a few shorebirds. We had better views by going north to 125th Ave. Along that road you can see a larger flooded field that had: pectoral, Baird’s, spotted, solitary, least, and semipalmated sandpipers. We also saw Am pelicans, ring-billed gulls, Franklin’s gulls, short-billed dowitchers, and martins (Barb and Dennis).  The shorebirds were especially nervous; possibly because of the bald eagles that flew over from South Walnut Lake.
There were gravel trucks hauling their loads along 125th Ave so if you park there give them enough room to pass.

Larry and Yoli Sirvio