PIG-LIST Archives

December 2001

PIG-LIST@LISTS.UMN.EDU

Date:
Fri, 7 Dec 2001 17:29:46 -0600
Hello everyone!

Yes, we have finally been able to coordinate with the Shriner's Hospital
Child Life Program people after many weeks of playing phone tag.  So, here
is what happens now.  We will be sending 2 or 3 people each Wednesday night
at 5:30 (or as soon as you can get there) to play with the kids in their
large recreation room on the second floor.  I must admit it is a VERY nice
rec. room.  You can just ask at the information desk when you get in there
where it is if you have never been there before, it's easy to find.  You
will undoubtedly meet Maureen Johnson who is the child life person that is
there during our time and is SO happy to have us there.  There may already
be kids in there when you get there, or you can just walk down the hall and
pop your head into the rooms on that hall to see if any of the kids want to
join you in the rec room.  They are usually pretty happy and excited to get
in there.  You can play with them for that hour from 5:30-6:30 and then
leave if you'd like or if you want to stay and play with them in their rooms
or in the smaller play areas, that is totally fine and great also!  They
have been very flexible with us and are not even requiring us to go through
their orientation since we'll be sending different people all the time...so
just choose a day and go have fun!  We'll be going every other week after
our winter breaks are over.  And we will need 2-3 people who want to sign up
for next week as well.  I told her that after  next week, we wouldn't be
able to be back until after winter break due to exams and vacation.  But, if
there is anyone who would like to go during that time, just let me know.
They'd be happy to have you.  There will be a sign up sheet a couple lockers
away from the one for the free clinic starting on Monday.  Thanks a lot
everyone!  Sorry it's taken so long to get this going.

short summary:

--Volunteer at the Shriner's Hospital!
--Wednesdays, 5:30-6:30 in their large rec. room
(can stay longer and play in kids rooms and smaller play areas if you would
like to)
--every other week
--sign up down at lockers by CHIP lounge
--any questions, just email me (Robyn Friedman, [log in to unmask])

Shriner's is about a mile down East River Road on the left side.  You can't
miss it.  You can park in their ramp--it's free.

Have a great weekend!

Robyn Friedman
MS2