PROBEUSERS Archives

September 2008

PROBEUSERS@LISTS.UMN.EDU

From:
Eric Essene <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 7 Sep 2008 18:28:05 -0400

Owen,
     Gd2O3 is usually a powder and cannot be polished well. Look at it
in reflected light or SEI and it should be clear if you have a
powder.  If so, don't even try to use it for a standard (well, you
could tune up on it).  The REE phosphates are nice crystals, free for
the asking at the Smithsonian, and (given a little Pb) work very well
when analyzing major levels of REE as in monazite and xenotime.  The
REE glasses of Drake and Weill are nice as working standards but are
not as robust under a high beam current or under conditions (15 kV,
10-20 nA) that produce relatively low count rates for REE.
eric