PROBEUSERS Archives

August 2005

PROBEUSERS@LISTS.UMN.EDU

From:
John Hunt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
JEOL Probe Users List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Aug 2005 13:12:01 -0400

>Ellery,

         I understand that the 8900 system is not the simplest one on which
to take digital images, but it is certainly capable of doing it.  That is
how everyone here records their images.  I use Peter Mcswiggen's plug-in to
ImageJ to add a micron marker on our PC which is connected to the JEOL HP
computer using Samba (originally setup by Dave Videchak of JEOL).  These
TIF files could certainly be used in Photoshop if desired.  Or printed on
our Codonics printer.  Hardly anyone asks to print images anymore and our
Polaroid camera system probably hasn't been used more than 6 shots worth
since 1999 when the 8900 was installed.  All of our SEMs, TEMs, light
microscopes and the probe are essentially completely digital these
days.  My only problem is overloading the computer memory with image
storage and deciding when to delete images etc.

John Hunt
CCMR Microscopy Facility
255-0108