PROBEUSERS Archives

May 2009

PROBEUSERS@LISTS.UMN.EDU

From:
Eric Essene <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 5 May 2009 10:17:59 -0400

Richie,
     ANU had a system that I used in 1968-1970.  It was comprised of
an iridium strip between two posts inside a sealed box.  Rather than a
vacuum we used an Ar or N2 atmosphere.  We used a pyrometer to
estimate T.  For lunar studies we had to use O2-free N2 to prevent
oxidation of ferrous glass.  A vacuum does not mean that no atmosphere
is present, just that the total amount is small.  We could not detect
that Ir interacted with the glasses we made at 1200-1400C, but we
were not looking at Pt group elements.  Graphite will reduce ferric
iron and there is always a potential for making carbides or releasing
more volatile elements, especially at very high T.
cheers,
eric