PROBEUSERS Archives

November 2007

PROBEUSERS@LISTS.UMN.EDU

From:
Jolanta Mesjasz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 12 Nov 2007 19:37:33 +0200

Position: Nuclear microprobe analysis of thin frozen-hydrated biological
specimens

Post-doctoral fellow (NMP) - two years contract with extension possibility

Applications are invited for this position in our Materials Research
Group(MRG) of iThemba LABS, situated ca. 30 km from Cape Town, South
Africa.

Responsibilities will include:
- Adapting of cryo-stage coupled to the MRG nuclear microprobe
  for measurements of thin specimens in frozen-hydrated state

- Active involvement in research projects related to biological
applications of ion beam techniques and generating new applications.

Minimum requirements:

- PhD in Biology/Chemistry/Physics with strong emphasis
  on cryo-preparation of biological specimens and low temperature electron
microscopy

- Experience in operating SEM/TEM and knowledge of EDS technique as well
as cryo-ultramicrotomy

- Experience in operating a nuclear microprobe and familiarity with PIXE
as an advantage

- Relevant conference presentations and publications as well as
international exposure

- Knowledge of statistical methods

- Computer literacy (Word, Excel, Corel, etc.)

We offer a competitive remuneration package, which includes normal company
benefits.

Forward your detailed CV, accompanied by a covering letter and supporting
documents,
  to the Human Resource Department; iThemba LABS, P.O. Box 722, Somerset West
7129,
  or fax (+27-21-8433756), or via e-mail to: [log in to unmask]
For some information of the laboratory, visit our website: www.tlabs.ac.za

I suggest that you contact me for any details of this position.
  E-mail: [log in to unmask]

You may want to read the following publication on earlier work done by our
team in this direction:

Grzegorz Tylko, Jolanta Mesjasz-Przybylowicz and Wojciech J. Przybylowicz.
X-ray microanalysis of biological material in the frozen-hydrated state by
PIXE.
Microscopy Research and Technique (2007) 70: 55-68.

Applications close on 31 December 2007

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dr Wojciech J. Przybylowicz
Materials Research Group
iThemba LABS
PO Box 722
Somerset West 7129 South Africa
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Fax: +27-21-8433543
Phone: +27-21-8431166 (direct); 8431000 (reception)
Cell: +27-82-563 7925
http://www.tlabs.ac.za
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx