PROBEUSERS Archives

August 2005

PROBEUSERS@LISTS.UMN.EDU

From:
Ellery Frahm <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
JEOL Probe Users List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Aug 2005 14:49:19 -0500

On Aug 29, 2005, at 12:12 PM, John Hunt wrote:

> I understand that the 8900 system is not the simplest one on which
> to take digital images, but it is certainly capable of doing it.
> That is how everyone here records their images.

Hi John,

Oh, yes, we frequently do digitally collect images using a stage or
beam map.  However, this is limited to 1024 x 1024 pixels, so a "film
quality" image would require a 2 x 2 or 3 x 3 grid of those images to
be stitched together to get sufficient resolution.  It is also a bit
involved, especially for infrequent users and lab visitors.  Usually
folks just use our little thermal printer to print off a little image
that they can write on and stick in a notebook rather than set a
stage position, set conditions, etc. and move it over to a lab
computer.  Something that could be done with a slow scan and hitting
a button would be much easier and thus used a lot more -- that's the
main thing: anything that isn't easy won't be used that frequently by
users.  But, you are right, that by no means are we without a way to
collect digital images.  It is just a matter of resolution and ease.

I have a friend working in the University's Archaeobiology Labs who
is taking images of skulls, bones, and artifacts in order to create
Quicktime VR movies and 3D models of them.  Her setup has a camera
that is controlled over a wireless network and automatically sends
the photos to a computer.  It is very slick but expensive and easy/
tempting to steal -- she locks it up each night.

Best,
Ellery

Ellery E. Frahm
Research Scientist/Manager