PROBEUSERS Archives

May 2009

PROBEUSERS@LISTS.UMN.EDU

From:
Eric Essene <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 21 May 2009 09:14:44 -0400

Ellery,
     Here Carl Henderson maintains two 25-28 year old Cameca Camebax
machines without service contracts.  They both have EDS and BSE and
one of them has 4 spectrometers.  Carl added better spectrometer
crystals, modified them to run on Macs, and modified the output
considerably.  I think that the stage and spectrometer stability of
those systems made a big difference in the reliability of those
machines.  I takes a gifted operator to keep such old systems
functional.
     We are still finding out about problems on the SX-100 and
improving its performance over time.  We have maintained a service
contract on our SX-100.
cheers,
eric