please find below the ad for the search for an Electron Microprobe Lab
manager at the University of Iowa.
*CORE FACILITY RSRCH SPECIALIST*
The University of Iowa - Iowa City, IA
$50,000 a year
*Percent Time:* 100% Type of Position Regular: A position which is
considered essential for the effective long-term operation of the
university. Persons appointed to this position will receive the privileges
and benefits associated with regular employment status. Duties:
The University of Iowa Central Microscopy Research Facility is an Office of
the Vice President for Research core resource, offering a wide array of
instrumentation to research investigators.
We are currently in search of a Core Facility Research Specialist to
oversee a newly established Electron Microprobe (EPMA) facility serving a
multidisciplinary community of users. Essential responsibilities include
using wavelength-dispersive (WDS) and energy-dispersive (EDS)
micro-analytical techniques on a JEOL JXA-8230 fully equipped with 5 WDS
spectrometers (3 PETL-LIFL, TAPL-LDEL, and PETJ-TAPJ-LDE1-LDE2), advanced
EDS and cathodoluminescence (CL) instrumentation to assist research on
geologic and other solid-state specimens. The facility also houses a
Hitachi S-3400N environmental SEM equipped with a Bruker EDS system and a
Gatan Chroma CL detector.
- Perform chemical microanalyses of geologic, ceramic, metals, thin
films, and other solid materials.
- Daily calibration of the electron microprobe and monitoring
performance of researchers/investigators collecting their own data, data
collection and reduction, analysis for some researchers/investigators, and
instrument demonstrations for classes and visitors.
- Provide back-up support for other analytical facilities, such as the
SEM and ICP-MS.
- Effectively communicate to provide consultation, written reports, and
verbal presentations describing sample preparation, analytical methods,
analytical data acquisition, and interpretation of results.
- Provide education and training to EPMA and SEM users on sample
preparation, analytical procedures, and data analysis.
- Stay current with state-of-art characterization techniques to provide
solutions for researchers/investigators.
- Handle multiple projects while guaranteeing very high data quality
- Work closely with researchers/investigators in conducting and/or
developing new and specialized scientific research procedures.
- Maintain a working knowledge of EPMA software and hardware, provide
oversight and routine maintenance of the electron microprobe, and oversee
- Collaboration and Embracing Diversity - Ability to work with a variety
of individuals and groups in a constructive and civil manner while
appreciating the unique contribution of individuals from varied cultures,
race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, disability, sexual
orientation, and gender identity.
- Establishes and maintains positive and productive working
relationships within and outside of own area and background.
- Identifies and resolves disagreements/conflicts in early stages.
- Promotes a safe, equitable, respectful environment in which concerns
can be addressed effectively.
- Recommends changes to work practices and policies to promote
transparency and approachability.
- Positive Impact/Achieving Results - Ability to utilize existing
resources and learning to achieve or exceed desired outcomes of current and
future organizational goals/needs. Able to demonstrate ethical behavior in
diverse situations while producing results.
- Ensures time, resources, energy, learning opportunities, and actions
are focused on priorities that matter to the changing workplace.
- Creates a team environment of accountability and commitment for
reaching goals and desired results; ensures team is developed to address
- Ensures compliance with codes of ethics that benefit the overall good
of all constituents.
- Demonstrates and communicates a big picture understanding of the
organization, its interrelationships, and priorities.
- Service Excellence/Customer Focus - Ability to meet or exceed customer
service needs and expectations and provide excellent service in a direct or
indirect manner. Ability to effectively transmit and interpret information
through appropriate communication with internal and external customers.
- Effectively uses a broad range of methods in communicating complex
ideas to diverse populations.
- Monitors profession/field/discipline for trends and implements
innovative solutions to enhance service.
- Builds successful track record of superior personal and organizational
service delivery in diverse environments.
- Promotes excellence achieved through reports or other media for
distribution to internal and/or external constituents and the professional
- The Core Facility Research Specialist classification is in the Core
Facility Research job family. For more information about the Core Facility
Research job family click on the link above.
*Please note regarding references :* 5 (Five) professional references will
be requested and required at a later step in the recruitment process.
- A Master’s degree in a scientific field or an equivalent combination
of education and experience is required. Experience Required:
- At least three years of experience in EPMA of geological materials
using both energy dispersive x-ray spectroscopy (EDS) and wavelength
dispersive x-ray spectroscopy (WDS).
- Demonstrated ability to independently design EMPA WDS and EDS
analytical routines for a variety of materials while optimizing accuracy
and precision to suit the analytical needs.
- Understanding the factors that affect the accuracy and precision of
EMPA analyses, and the ability to clearly communicate these to colleagues
and students with expertise in other fields.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work independently in a position of increasing
responsibility. Desirable Qualifications:
- PhD in a scientific field
- Post-degree professional experience of at least one year after the
completion of the doctoral degree.
- EPMA publications on geological topics.
- Familiarity with Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM),
Cathodoluminescence (CL) and Laser-Ablation Inductively Coupled Plasma Mass
Spectrometry (LA ICP-MS) analytical techniques and data analysis.
Online Application Options
*Application Type:* This job requires basic applicant information, plus a
resume. Your resume should not be sent to the contact below. The resume
will be attached during the Online Application Process. Cover Letter: A
plain text cover letter is required.
To start the Online Application process for this position, click the "Apply
for This Position" button located below the Contact Information.
*Attention:* Your resume should not be sent to the contact below. The
resume will be attached during the Online Application Process.
*Contact:* Wendy E Loney
UNIVERSITY CAPITOL CENTRE
200 SOUTH CAPITOL STREET
IOWA CITY, IA 52242
*Department URL:* http://cmrf.research.uiowa.edu/
Dr. Anette von der Handt
Department of Earth Sciences
University of Minnesota
310 Pillsbury Drive SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455
Office phone: (612) 624-7370
Office fax: (612) 625-3819
Lab phone: (612) 624-3539
JEOL Probe Users Listserver
Moderator: Anette von der Handt, [log in to unmask],
Electron Microprobe Lab, University of Minnesota
Post a message: send your message to [log in to unmask]
Unsubscribe: send "SIGNOFF PROBEUSERS" to [log in to unmask]
On-line help and FAQ: http://probelab.geo.umn.edu/listserver.html