PROBEUSERS Archives

December 2019

PROBEUSERS@LISTS.UMN.EDU

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 17 Dec 2019 19:11:46 +0000
From:
"Collins, Keith W." <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
Hi John
I am not a big fan of sputter coaters as they leave a texture on the surface which maybe misinterpreted.  The old back up sputter coater coats so fast that you have to actually time it manually as the preprogram times put such a heavy coating of metal that one cannot resolve the surface of the sample just the coating.  Never got to use the carbon coater apparatus that came with the sputter coater, as the vacuum evaporator got repaired.

If I recall from previous presentations the carbon coating is not applied uniformly with a sputter coater "blobs of carbon"

Had a geologist who used Aerodag to coat samples.  It worked to my amazement.

I still prefer an evaporated coating.

Keith Collins