PROBEUSERS Archives

June 2008

PROBEUSERS@LISTS.UMN.EDU

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Eric Essene <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jun 2008 11:55:43 -0400

Ellery,
     One "simple" way for a user to get low totals on EMP is to have
the sample out of focus during the analysis.  We find some students
focusing with BSE or in transmitted light instead of reflected light,
or simply failing to check focus.  With the SX-100 we use an autofocus
system but some students turn off that option.  Once the low total is
obtained, one should immediately check in reflected light to see if
the sample is still in focus after the analysis before moving the
sample.
     Another problem is that students (and sometimes their advisors)
handle the sample, imparting oils to the carbon coat and causing
charging that is difficult to see if the sample doesn't fluoresce (or
we find that the user pays no attention to the flickering or moving
luminescence!).  One can find salt crystals in swirls in some cases.
The only check for that is to repolish, reclean (a step that lots of
folks forget), recoat, and then immediately reanalyze.  I find that
many students or faculty pick up their coated samples with thumb and
forefinger pinching the flat glass slide rather than squeezing in from
the sides.
cheers,
eric