PROBEUSERS Archives

December 2009

PROBEUSERS@LISTS.UMN.EDU

From:
Steven Cogswell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 16 Dec 2009 09:39:00 -0400

Hi folks;

I'm going to jinx things here by mentioning it, but I'd like to thank
everyone for their help with my weird drifty 733.  The suggestion of
dirt or something on the objective seems to have been the right issue
(our probe's normally very clean *cough cough* so I never even thought
of this).  We did a simple dusting with a dry nitrogen bottle of the
objective polepiece and I'm informed that the probe has been working
perfectly once again.

Also probably related, it never hurts to just open up your chamber and
just look inside:  Turned out our backscatter cable got unhooked as
well (the stage is able to drive and can bind on the cable and pull it
out of it's little four-pin socket).  I also suspect that having that
unhooked can cause issues because the cables can all float.  Duh.
Really glad I didn't have to tear the electronics apart again.

Now on to my non-functioning PGT EDS unit, but that's another day.
Now we can start to burn through the backlog.

Thanks again for everyone's help, I appreciate it.

Best regards,

Steven Cogswell