PROBEUSERS Archives

June 2008

PROBEUSERS@LISTS.UMN.EDU

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"John J. Donovan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jun 2008 08:23:05 -0700

Hi Ellery,
The first question is: are you performing the intensity at zero time
correction for Na loss? This glass (even in 10 seconds) will lose
some Na relative to "omphacite (albite)". Obviously if you have lost
Na then the H20 from 100% calculation will be high.

The other consideration is that the H2O needs to be added to the
matrix correction to adjust the SiO2 concentration (all the elements
are affected by the addition of H2O to the matrix, but SiO2 being the
largest concentration requires this the most). This is because Si ka
is more absorbed by oxygen than by itself. In these composition
glasses one will typically see an increase in the total (or decrease
in the H20 by difference) of about 1% absolute.

These corrections should be performed in the matrix correction loop
for best accuracy (as opposed to an Excel spreadsheet).

I'll send you a short note I wrote on these water by difference
correction issues off-line that also includes a discussion on a new
"blank" correction for accuracy I've developed for traces that
amazingly can also be used for calibration of major concentrations oxygen.
john